Ashley David, MFA & PhD
In business settings, the classroom, workshops, and one-on-one, I work to catalyze individual and group empowerment to achieve clearly defined goals, goals that often re-define the playing field. I specialize in game-changers.
- Instructor of Record for 25+ university classes including: Professional Writing: Business Communications, Creative Writing, Multicultural Literature, First Year Composition, and US Literature from 1865-present. Awarded the 2007 David and Linda Moscow Prize for Excellence in Teaching English Composition by the University of Michigan for innovations to the professional writing and business communications curriculum. (Piedmont College 2014-2015, 2012-2013 and 2007-2008; University of Georgia 2008-2009; University of Michigan 2005-2007)
- Teaching Assistant for 8 university sections including: Irish Literature & Culture, Jewish American Literature, Media & Social Scientific Knowledge, Human Society & Culture, Cultural Symbols, Women & Men in Anthropological Perspective, and Sex Roles and Society. (University of Michigan 2004-2005; New York University 1994-1997; Stanford University 1987-1988).
Community Teaching: Children & Adults
- Founder/Workshop Leader, Writers-in-the Schools Athens, (GA), a pilot creative writing workshop for elementary and middle school students. Developed model and taught weekend workshops and summer enrichment program. (2009-2010)
- Founder/Workshop Leader, Red Clay Writers Community Workshops (Athens, GA). Developed and taught creative writing workshops to groups of adults and teens. (2007-2008)
- Civitas Fellow & Writer-in-Residence, InsideOut Detroit (Detroit, MI). Developed lessons and taught creative writing to 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students; edited a literary journal for Burns Elementary School. (2005-2006)
- Volunteer Tutor and Classroom Assistant (San Francisco, CA). Assisted Spanish-only students to transition to an English-only 6th grade math and science class at James Lick Middle School. (2002)
- Some Workshop Examples can be found here.
- Gifted & Talented Coach (Atherton, CA). Developed and taught a personalized weekly course on the literature of world religions to a gifted 8th grader. (2003-2004)
- Business English Coach (Oaxaca, Mexico & Jakarta, Indonesia). Developed and taught personalized courses for executives using English as a Second Language. (Oaxaca, 2000-2001; Jakarta, 1988-1989)
- Welcome Dinner Mentor-Speaker—12th Annual Future Scholars Visitation Program, Outreach & Diversity Office, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA (2012)
- Infusing Diversity into the Curriculum Faculty/Staff Development Mentor, University of Wisconsin, Parkside, WI (2010-2011)
- GRO Program Mentor for two graduate students from under-represented backgrounds, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA (2010-2011)
- Marketing, Communications & Project Management Professional
- Interdisciplinary Artist & Scholar